Monday, July 14, 2008

The Thrill of the Hunt: Surviving Sale Season

by Drew Taylor
It’s the most wonderful time of the year – and no, I’m not talking about the holidays – summer sale season is upon us once again! Living in New York last summer, I found myself overwhelmed by all the amazing deals – and so did my Dad, when he noticed my dwindling bank balance. Luckily I’ve learned a thing or two to help me navigate through that shiny array of clearance racks. Here are my three top tips for super-shopping:

1. Before you shop the store, shop your closet. Take stock of everything in your wardrobe before you hit the sales. If you’ve got 25 pairs of ballet flats, maybe you don’t really need another – unless of course they’re Lanvin, the last pair in your size, and 75% off. In which case, you have my blessing (and complete envy).

2. Follow the 24-hour rule. If you’re ever on the fence about an item, leave it. If you’re still thinking about it the next day, wishing you had bought it, you can always go back and snag it. Which leads me to my final rule…

3. Only buy what you really, truly, love. It can be really easy to get sucked into buying something just because it’s a great price. But that discounted designer jacket isn’t such a bargain if it doesn’t fit well, or if you don’t feel amazing when you put it on. If you’re never going to wear it, it’s just taking up prime real estate in your closet where pieces you actually do love could go. A well-stocked wardrobe is based on quality, not quantity!

Happy bargain-hunting,