Monday, July 14, 2008

The "Gossip" About Fall Fashion

by Katie Amey
I will admit, upon moving to New York for my internship, I have become much more fashion conscious. Although I have always enjoyed combing the fashion mags to find inspirations for my wardrobe but I have definitely developed a case of "label worship" being out here in the big city.

Last night, my roommate pointed out to me that Gossip Girl was on the front page of the New York Times – not for ratings or character scandals, but for fashion. Now, I watched the show religiously this school year, but I never actually thought that teenage girls went out and bought the $3,000 leather bags toted around by the show’s lead actresses. However, this article in the Times claims the opposite. Apparently, once an article appears on the show, hunting it down in stores is harder than finding a needle in a haystack.

While I expected that girls would inspire to replicate the looks of Serena and Blair, I also expected that they would recreate these looks with basic cheap and chic pieces from retail giants like Urban Outfitters or Forever 21. I mean, as gorgeous as haute couture clothing is, it’s expensive! (I know that I definitely cannot afford it on a student’s budget!)

I will admit, however, that this summer, I have spent more than a small amount of clothing (sample sales, anyone?) so the more I thought about it, the more I believed that teenage girls really might run out to pick up that designer piece after hearing a GG character claim, "Do you like my new Nanette Lepore?"

According to this article, fashion retailers are expecting a run on argyle sweaters, knee socks and high boots for fall. Some fall designer collections are also expected to bear a Gossip Girl influence: a preppy, ritzy, collegiate look. So, if you want to score the Gossip Girl looks before they begin flying off the shelves, I suggest you head out now!

What’s your favorite Gossip Girl-inspired look? Have you ever gone out and purchased the original designer piece or do you prefer to use the cast for inspiration to piece together more affordable looks?
And just for fun, what has been your biggest splurge? (Mine was a Miu Miu purse that I received as a high school graduation present!