Monday, July 14, 2008

Finding Your Personal Style

by Angela Vereen
Having style is about more than just putting on designer couture and following celebrity trends. To have great style is to be creative and innovative. Fashion is the painter’s brush and style is the portrait. Your style is your own personal expression of the things that make you, you. The most important thing is to maintain certain individuality if you plan on standing out.

I like to think my personal style was inherited: my mother was known for her unique style and love for fashion. I’ve always loved beautiful fabrics and prints, and when I style, I like to fit “awkward” into “sophistication.” I pull inspiration from everything; from the fashion of the classy Medici family to designers Ralph Lauren and YSL. Style is my way of life. It’s what I wake up to in the morning; it is me, and I am it.

So how can you develop your personal style? Set yourself apart from the masses and be savvy about what makes you crazy, sexy, cool. In your spare time, spend a day at the library and pay special attention to how the books are organized — most of the time, they’re not color order. Looking at this is a great way to learn about color scheme and what odd colors actually go together.

Keep this blog flowing and tell us about your personal style!